Deliciously Sweet Cornbread compliments family quality time. Why? The aroma as it is cooking lures them to the kitchen: the taste keeps them at the table. There, events of the day and hopes of the future are shared. Unless, of course , they are teenaged boys with insatiable appetites. Silence can be as golden as cornbread!
This is so simple to throw together and the sweetened- condensed milk is an amazing twist of secret sweetness. Following directions as listed below, you can place the pan on the middle rack of a 400 degree preheated oven.
It comes out perfect! Go get the butter and/or honey and slather it on!
- 1½ c. All-Purpose flour
- 1½ c. yellow cornmeal
- ¼ c. turbinado sugar
- 1 T. baking powder
- ½ t. baking soda
- 1 t. Kosher salt
- 1¼ c. buttermilk
- 1-14 oz. can sweetened- condensed milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 T. vanilla
- 6 T. butter, melted
- Whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Combine buttermilk, sweetened-condensed milk, eggs and vanilla separately in another bowl.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients
- Add the milk and egg mixture and combine until thoroughly blended.
- Fold in melted butter until well incorporated.
- Pour into a non-stick foil-lined 13" x 9" x 2" pan or one lined with sprayed/buttered parchment paper.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Lift cornbread up with foil ends to remove from pan. Place back on wire rack: peel down foil.
- Slice and serve !