Fiesta Roasted Sweet Corn is a scrumptious take on the multiple uses of summer sweet corn. Don’t get me wrong; I love to eat it off the cob, but I’m all about tasting its flavor in unique combinations from morning ’til night! I especially love to make Summer’s Sweet Corn Pancakes all for myself! One teen in the house turns up his nose even though he loves corn on the cob and pancakes, just not together. The other one will eat frozen corn and not corn on the cob even though that is the origin of what is in the bag. Go figure. So on days like this, I’ll be a little selfish and enjoy what I remember from my childhood. That’s so comforting.
One evening, my sister and I went out to restaurant which had something like this on the menu as a summer side dish. I had to try it, but the cost of it was about the cost of what the 6 ears of corn cost me at the local produce market. To start the process, I blanched the corn for exactly 3 minutes and removed the cobs from the water. Allow it to cool off slightly before cutting off the kernels. You could place this in ice water to help cool off faster, if desired. It stops the cooking process to help keep kernels firm. This is usually how you prep corn for freezing.
Melt the butter and whisk in the chili powder and salt. Pour over the kernels and toss to evenly coat.
The kernels are spread evenly onto a non-stick foil lined pan. Place in a 450 degree preheated oven for 20 minutes and stir halfway. At the end of the suggested cooking time, the corn should be a light golden color. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
Squeeze the lime juice over the corn and toss slightly. Lay the cilantro and feta cheese onto the corn and toss to evenly distribute.
Now that this is combined, You have permission to open your mouth an insert a spoonful !Oh, my! Now I have to admit when I was a teen I may have made a face at this also. However, now that I am an adult, I have little fear to try something new. Therefore, you should be fearless and attempt to add a new flavor to your repertoire of summer side dishes. Lime and cilantro in anything seems to be a major weakness of mine, especially in the summer. You won’t be disappointed! … Now, I wonder, what If I add a finely minced jalapeno??? Maybe Fiesta Roasted Sweet Corn will need to be renamed.
- 6 large ears of sweet corn
- 4 T. butter
- ½ t. chili powder
- ¼ t. salt
- Fresh lime juice from 1 lime, approximately 2 T.
- ½ c. chopped cilantro
- ½ c. crumbled feta cheese
- Drop 6 large ears of sweet corn into boiling water for 3 minutes.
- Take out and allow to cool slightly; strip kernels.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Melt butter then whisk in chili powder and salt.
- Pour over kernels and toss to coat.
- Spread corn in cookie pan lined with non-stick foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes, stirring halfway. They should be a light golden brown.
- Remove to serving dish and sprinkle with lime juice; stir to coat and cool slightly.
- Sprinkle cilantro and feta over corn and gently toss to equally distribute throughout the mixture.