For some unknown reason, I had this craving for garlic bread dipped in my Classic Marinara Sauce that I just finished. Not having the time to make fresh bread today, I created this Garlic Butter Spread to lather on a loaf of Italian bread I bought off of the marked down rack at the grocery store. My grandchildren were going be over for dinner, so I thought I could have them test it out.; they always seem to be hungry!
Once the butter is softened the ingredients can be quickly combined. Then spread 2-3 tablespoons per split loaf half or you could slice the loaf and spread it on individual slices. For little hands, I thought the breadstick version was the best for them.
Bake for about 12-14 minutes. Slice into strips for dipping.
Add some Classic Marinara Sauce and you could call it a Meatless Monday meal for the kids… or you , too!
Serves: 2 loaves
- ½ c. salted butter, softened at room temperature
- ¼ c. olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 T. dried parsley
- Cheesy Additions per Loaf:(optional):
- 1 loaf of Italian or rustic bread of your choice
- ½ c. parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1 c. mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Whisk all ingredients together into a smooth mixture.
- Slice loaf in half, lengthwise.
- Spread about 2-3 T. per half loaf.
- If just using spread, bake for 12-14 minutes.
- With cheesy additions, bake for 10 minutes and remove pan from oven.
- Sprinkle each loaf half with ¼ cup parmesan and ½ cup mozzarella cheese.
- Bake an additional 2-4 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Slice and serve.
- Store any unused spread in small container in refrigerator.