I love making big breakfasts on the weekends. It helps provide sustenance for all of the scheduled activities. These Heavenly Belgian Waffles are amazing! These are crispy on the outside, thanks to a special ingredient, and light and airy on the inside like a cloud in heaven ! I’ve tried several hoping to find the waffle recipe for me. Inspiration to find the right one came when I decided to buy a double Belgian waffle maker ! I read the reviews and splurged a bit. Another kitchen tool? Oh, yes!
It’s easy to gather the ingredients to get the process started!
Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until very few lumps appear, but don’t over do it!
After 30 minutes, you can see the bubbles that will create that airy texture inside the waffle. Set the dial to your preferred setting for crispness. (I set mine on 4.) You can judge, using my pictures, if you would like to alter that setting based upon your individual preference.
Pour 3/4 of a cup of batter into waffle maker. I can rotate my waffle maker, this distributes the batter more evenly, while allowing me to begin to cook another. (That’s why it’s a double waffle maker.) This is so cool ! When it beeps, carefully remove your waffle and pour in some more batter, and rotate again! We are just in a waffle-making marathon!
Theses waffles are crispy on the outside; cornstarch is the secret ingredient for this characteristic. Who would have thought?
Here’s one with a fruit topping! Have a bar of ingredients for your guests to choose from when creating their waffle-palooza! Maybe some peanut butter and chocolate chips? Hmmm.. Now, I’ll need to make more to try that one!
Serves: 8 waffles
- 1½ c. all-purpose flour ( I used White Lily brand.)
- ½ c. cornstarch
- 1 t. baking powder
- ½ t. baking soda
- 1 t. salt
- 2 T. sugar
- ¼ t. nutmeg
- ½ t. cinnamon
- 2 c. buttermilk/whole milk (I used low fat buttermilk.)
- ⅔ c. canola oil/butter, melted (I used oil in this one.)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 t. vanilla
- Combine dry ingredients together with a whisk.
- In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients.
- incorporate the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients; blend, using a whisk, until very few lumps appear.
- Allow to sit at room temperature for approximately 30 minutes before using.
- Heat waffle maker and prepare surface using manufacturer's directions.
- When waffle maker is preheated, pour specified amount into mold and close until it reaches your desired crispness.
- Keep warm in a 200 degree oven until ready to serve if they are not eaten immediately.
- These may be frozen and reheated in toaster oven.
- Enjoy with your choice of toppings: butter, maple syrup, powdered sugar, fruit compote and maybe some whipped cream to name a few....