Pasta with Clam Sauce is an enticing alternative to a tomato-based sauce dish ! It’s light, yet flavorful. The butter and wine sauce combined with garlic, herbs and clams creates a sauce which lightly coats your pasta. Minimal time is required to create what could become a family favorite in your meal rotation. Little prep work is required for this dish. Physical effort is only required to open the cans of clams and grate the cheese. Speaking of cheese,……
Did you know that Parmigiano Reggiano cheese is really Parmesan cheese? Its origin is in the north-central region of Italy in the towns of Parma and Reggio. This region, along with three other neighboring provinces, formed a consortium to preserve its high standards and production zones. As of 1996, it is certified as a PDO (Protected Designation of Origin) product. To clarify, this is designed to label European products made by traditional methods and in a strictly designated area. There is a picture below of that label which was found on the Parmigiano Reggiano cheese I bought for this recipe. Known as “the king of cheeses”, it contains 3 ingredients: superb milk, sea salt and natural rennet(enzymes). No additives or preservatives are used to make this cheese according to the history link on parmesan.com . There’s an abundance of information regarding this cheese including, but not limited to, Thomas Jefferson’s role in bringing it to America. I love researching history of food. Now let’s move on to the process.
Saute the garlic with the minced clams, including their juice, in the melted butter over medium-low heat. Increase heat to medium and add the crushed red pepper flakes, lemon juice, oregano, basil, black pepper along with the white wine. At this point, begin to cook the pasta. Allow the sauce to reduce by about a fourth, which could take about 10 minutes, over medium heat.
You can choose to serve this one of two ways. Spoon the desired amount of sauce over your bowl of pasta. Toss lightly to coat. Then, sprinkle some parmigiano-reggiano cheese. Or, you may toss the whole pound of pasta with all of the sauce.
Serves: 6 servings
- 1 pound of fresh(preferred) fettuccini -any dry pasta can be substituted
- ½ c. unsalted butter
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2-6.5 oz. cans minced clams
- ¼ t. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 T. oregano leaves, finely chopped or 2 t. dried oregano
- 2 T. basil, finely chopped or 2 t. or dried basil
- ½ t. freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ c. white wine
- Freshly grated parmesan-reggiano cheese
- Over medium-low heat, melt butter.
- Sauté garlic with minced clams, including juice.
- Increase heat to medium and add red pepper flakes, lemon juice, oregano, basil, black pepper and white wine.
- Cook until mixture by about a quarter. This should take about 10 minutes. (This should be a good time to start cooking pasta.)
- Drain pasta. Toss pasta in sauce to coat or ladle desired amount of sauce over cooked pasta and serve.
- Garnish with freshly grated parmesan-reggiano cheese.