It was the Friday before Labor Day and my oldest grandson, Vanze, chose the breakfast menu. “Pancakes, Gigi!”, he said. When asked what type of pancakes, he said peanut butter. Hmmmm…. Well, that’s one type I’ve never made so I improvised a bit using my regular recipes as a source. Of course, they also had to have chocolate chips! Thus, the birth of Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Pancakes.
In two separate bowls, one being glass, whisk together the dry and wet ingredients. Warm the peanut butter slightly in the microwave glass bowl or large measuring cup to soften it a bit to make it easier to blend with the other wet ingredients. Gently blend them, along with the mini chocolate chips, into the dry ingredients until fully incorporated; do not over beat! Allow batter to rest for about 10 minutes.
Next, using a large scoop, drop batter onto preheated, lightly oiled, griddle. When bubbles appear towards the center, flip over.
When centers spring back slightly when touched, they should be ready to take off of the griddle. Now, drizzle some chocolate syrup on top of a pile of these and you will be charged for your day! Maybe a drizzle of peanut butter syrup! Regular syrup or no syrup at all works as well!
Serves: 18 pancakes
- flour1 c. all-purpose flour( If using White Lily flour, add 2 additional tablespoons.)
- 1 T. baking powder
- ½ t. salt
- ½ c. creamy peanut butter( I used JIF.)
- ¼ c. turbinado sugar( Sugar in the Raw)
- ¼ c. canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. milk( I used 1%.)
- ¼ c. mini chocolate chips
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large glass measuring cup, microwave peanut butter slightly to help create a smoother texture to blend.
- Add in sugar eggs, oil and milk; whisk briskly to blend.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until well incorporated. Do not over beat!
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over batter and blend in.
- Allow batter to sit for about 10 minutes; you will see bubbles begin to appear.
- Using a large scoop, drop batter onto preheated griddle coated lightly with coconut oil or preferred method.
- Turn when bubbles appear towards the middle. Continue to cook other side until center springs back when touched.
- Enjoy with chocolate syrup or peanut butter syrup, or just as they are !