Pina Colada Zucchini Bread is ‘healthy” dessert in disguise. (Is that an oxymoron?) I had made a Coconut Lime Zucchini Bread that I found on Pinterest that was a hit with my co-workers. I thought I could perhaps turn it into a version of a favorite summer drink, without the alcohol. We can give the teachers a last minute taste of summer before they go back to work, right? I think so!
Vegetables, fruit….. How could it be bad, right? This took little convincing on my part that this was definitely on my list to make…Immediately!!!
Spray pan with a baking spray. This Wilton Mini-Bundt pan is perfect because I have an idea that will turn it into a show-stopper! Wait for it… Wait for it…… Just fill them up just below the rim.
Once cooled, prepare the whipped cream. Fill in the center of each followed by swirling it around the top. (If you want to make this totally dairy-free, create a non-dairy version of the cream ) Lightly sprinkle each with the toasted coconut and top with a stemmed maraschino cherry…and maybe half of a straw to give the illusion that you could drink this delight. LOL. Now, sit back and sip it slowly… eh …I mean, close your eyes and sink your teeth into it, savoring each bite of luscious tropical flavor! I’ll wait right here while you sink your teeth into this….
It certainly can be made dairy-free just avoid the whipped cream topping and you probably would still be satiated, with its tropical sweetness!
Serves: 21 mini-bundts
- 3 eggs
- ¾ c. coconut oil(canola acceptable)
- 1½ c. turbinado sugar(Sugar in the Raw)
- 1 t. rum extract
- 1 t. coconut extract
- 1 T. pineapple juice
- 2 c. shredded zucchini
- 3 c. all-purpose flour( I use White Lily brand.)
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. baking soda
- ¾ c. coconut, sweetened and flaked
- 1 8-oz. can crushed pineapple drained; reserve juice
- ½ c. sugar
- 2 T. pineapple juice
- ½ t. coconut extract
- ½ t. rum extract
- Dessert toppings:
- 1 c. heavy whipping cream
- 2 T. confectioners sugar
- ¼ c. toasted coconut
- Stemmed Maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain canned crushed pineapple, saving the juice.
- Shred zucchini; measure out 2 cups.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Beat together eggs, oil and sugar.
- Add in extracts and pineapple juice.
- Blend in shredded zucchini, pineapple and coconut.
- Spray pan with baking spray.
- Scoop batter into each, just below the fill line.
- Bake about 18 minutes.
- Place on cooling rack briefly before removing from pan.
- Allow to completely cool before piping in whipped cream
- Sprinkle with toasted coconut and top with a stemmed cherry.