Stir to coat the vegetables with the olive oil, stirring occasionally until they are softened, about 10-15 minutes.
To the spices and the remaining ingredients, except the cilantro. Add it once the chili starts to thicken within the last 10-15 minutes of cooking time.
Simmer for about an hour and a half.
Now, the creativity comes with your finishing touches. Choose from light sour cream, plain Greek yogurt, shredded cheese, more cilantro, diced avocado, a squeeze of lime, or maybe a spoonful of quinoa to stir in. Any other suggestions? Enjoy it your way! Don’t forget the Deliciously Sweet Cornbread ! Now it’s perfect!
- ¼ c. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 8 oz. mini sweet peppers, seeded and cut into rings
- 10 oz. pkg. matchstick carrots
- 4-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 qt. water
- 2 T. cocoa powder
- 2 t. cinnamon
- 3 T. chili powder
- 1 T. cumin
- 2 t. coriander
- ½ t. turmeric
- 1 T. dried oregano or 3 T. fresh, chopped
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1 T. tomato paste
- 1- 28 oz. can crushed or diced tomatoes
- 2-15 oz. cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 c. cilantro, chopped, divided
- 1 t. kosher salt, or more to taste
- In a Dutch Oven, or similar-sized pot, heat oil on medium-low heat.
- Add in the red onion, garlic, sweet pepper rings and shredded carrots.
- Stir vegetables often until softened, about 10-15 minutes.
- Pour in water along with spices and remaining ingredients, except cilantro.
- Simmer over low heat until chili thickens, about 1½ hours, stirring occasionally.
- Prior to serving, stir in about ¾ cup of the chopped cilantro and season with salt to your liking .
- Serve with your favorite toppings and a side of cornbread. Yum!
- Topping suggestions: light sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt), shredded cheese, more chopped cilantro, diced avocado, large spoonful of quinoa....