The remains of the 2018 blizzard, Winter Storm Grayson, have not faded away. It was 7 degrees below zero this morning with the wind chill factor and I’ve shifted my blogging location to the den upstairs since heat rises. I asked my hubby what he wanted for breakfast that would warm us up, His response was oatmeal. It’s not something I make regularly, but I certainly had the ingredients to pursue this request which sounded perfect! While reading some posts on Pinterest, I came across an idea which said it would change the way we would make oatmeal.
Melt butter in a microwave safe dish. Toss in the oatmeal to coat and toast. The toasting can be done in a small skillet, however, I chose to use my toaster oven. While stirring occasionally, allow it to acquire a toasted nutty aroma.
Add the remaining ingredients and stir.
Microwave for 2 minutes. Stir. Microwave an additional 2 minutes. Remove from the microwave and stir. At this point, it should appear thicker and creamier than at the 2 minute cook point. Allow it to cool slightly before serving this luscious, warm bowl of Apple Walnut Oatmeal.
Serves: 2 servings
- 1 T. butter, melted
- 1 c. old-fashioned oats
- 1¾ c. milk
- ⅓ c chopped walnuts
- 1 c. chopped Granny Smith apple
- ½ t. cinnamon
- 3 T. dark brown sugar
- Melt butter in microwave safe dish.
- Stir in the oatmeal.
- Toast in a toaster oven or on the stove in a small skillet until it acquires a toasty nutty aroma.Stir frequently.
- Core and dice thinly sliced apples.
- Add milk and other ingredients to the dish.
- MIcrowave for 2 minutes. Stir.
- Microwave an additional 2 minutes. It should appear thicker at this point.
- Cool slightly and serve.