A lazy Sunday morning with teenage boys still sleeping led to some quiet contemplation about what to prepare for breakfast. I glanced at a few waffle recipes and decided to wing it on a new variety whose success was to be determined in the mouths a few adolescents in their waking minutes. I needed to tantalize their taste buds on the last day of winter break to help them celebrate their return to school and much needed routines. Yesterday we had purchased a container of blueberries for pancakes. I decided on waffles today instead. (They are still sleeping, therefore this becomes my decision.)
I desired a light and airy waffle that ‘s a little crispy on the outside. The addition of the blueberries created a quick burst of flavor within each bite. Of course, this may be determined by the number of blueberries you desire to toss on top of the batter before closing the lid. These were small so I scattered several small berries onto each. The aroma in the crisp morning air was delightful. The steam began to diminish and the ready light came on. I gingerly opened up the lid and was amazed at its golden crisp color. Quick! Where’s my plate?
The first cut inside showed an airy texture. Perhaps the extra baking powder and baking soda contributed to this. They were in the same proportion to one another. One bite and I was fist-pumping one of the boys, who tends to be one of the most difficult to please with his picky palate. Definite winner here!
- 1-3/4 c. milk
- 2 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ c. butter melted and cooled
- 2 c. cup all-purpose unbleached flour
- 2 T. sugar
- 1T. baking powder
- 1-1/2 t. baking soda
- ½ t. salt
- 1 T. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Combine milk and lemon juice and set aside.
- Melt butter and set aside to cool.
- Whisk dry ingredients together.
- When milk appears to be curdled, blend into dry ingredients with the beaten eggs and vanilla.
- Gently whisk in the cooled butter.
- Add batter to waffle maker using amounts sufficient to fill sections without causing it to overflow when closed,
- Sprinkle desired amount blueberries on top of batter.
- Remove from waffle maker when desired color and crispness occur.