Chocolate Chip Banana Nut Bread is comforting to the senses. Take those overripe bananas and prepare to be satisfied. I tend to make these as muffins since they bake quickly and can satisfy promptly. They are perfect for a late weekend morning . breakfast or to pack for a road trip with your little ones (or big ones). Soon, packed school lunches will contain one to delight a child’s eye and remind him of the comforts of returning home. You could even make them ahead of time to take them on a long road trip(Are we there yet?) or camping trip (Hungry after a hike?). If there is a will to make them, there is a way to eat them! Be creative!
I try to add a little dose of healthy to snacks without allowing the kids to see it. My choice here is Chia seeds. What are Chia seeds, you ask? Well, do you remember Ch-Ch-Chia pets? We don’t allow these to sprout like they did on that clay figure. I toss this super grain in yogurt, smoothies, homemade jam. salads,… and banana bread! Try my Lustful Lemon Chia Cake where I replaced Chia seeds for the poppy seeds . Really, anything I can think of improving gets a little sprinkle of ch-ch -Chia! Shhhh!
Serves: 21 muffins
- 1 c. turbinado sugar, (Sugar in the Raw)
- ½ c. unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ c. mashed very ripe bananas, 3-4
- 1 t. vanilla
- 2 c. All Purpose flour (I use White Lily brand.)
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 t. baking powder
- ½ t. salt
- 2 T. Chia seeds, optional
- ⅔ c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ⅔ c. chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine sugar with softened butter and beat until smooth.
- Add eggs and beat for about one minute, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Mix in mashed bananas and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the other bowl and mix well, scraping down the sides.
- Stir in until well blended Chia, pecans ands chocolate chips.
- For muffins, fill paper-lined cupcake pan with about ¼ cup of the mixture. This should be about ⅔ full. Bake for approximately 20 minutes.
- For a loaf pan, bake until top is brown and firm to touch. Check at 50 minutes and continue to bake until done.