Chocolate Velvet Pie was one of NIck’s favorite desserts, next to my chocolate chip cookies. Every Thanksgiving, I enjoy a slice for him as he became an angel in heaven just before his 19th birthday in a motorcycle accident 11 years ago. He was a picky eater, but he would always have this pie at Thanksgiving so I always made this dessert especially for him. Holidays were extremely difficult without my Legomaniac, however I found ways to make it easier by enjoying things he liked. At Christmas, the Junior Honor Society at my school would participate in Toys for Tots toy drive with a special request for Legos in his honor as those were his favorite Christmas presents as a child. The community always answered the call.
Sharing this recipe with you gives me joy! Originally, I believe it came from a Philadelphia Cream Cheese site. I hope you find a special time to make this and enjoy with the ones you love. I start with making this Ultimate All- Butter Pie Crust Now, If you need to, you could always use a pre-made crust. Either way, it needs to be pre-baked and cooled before filling. The picture below is after a blind baking step. Pinterest has images of finishing pie crusts that are fabulous! The crust imprint was created with a spoon! Cool, huh? It’s one of my favorite ways to beautify a crust!
Well, someone forgot to take pictures of the steps, but they are simple enough that you can follow them as listed in the recipe until I make this again. Once you have made the filling, scoop it into the cooled pie crust and spread out evenly, touching the crust’s edges. Chill for a couple of hours so it will be easy to slice and serve. Enjoy this Chocolate Velvet Pie with a smile! NIck had a great one.
Below is the one I created this year for Thanksgiving. I had a little fun at giving it a seasonal flare with my little leaf pastry cutters. This can be adapted to any time of year to celebrate anything where Chocolate is appropriate. I could definitely see this as a Valentine’s Day dessert with little heart cut outs overlaying the crust.
- 1 - 11.5 oz. pkg. milk chocolate chips
- 1- 8 oz. ⅓ fat softened cream cheese
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 c. heavy whipping cream
- 1- 9 inch prepared pie crust, blind baked and cooled
- Melt milk chocolate chips in microwave-safe bowl for 1 minute. Stir until smooth. If needed, add an additional 10-15 seconds.
- Whip the heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form
- Mix melted chocolate chips with softened cream cheese until uniformly blended.
- Fold in gently, the whipped cream until no streaks remain.
- Place in a cooled, pre-baked pie shell.
- Spread evenly and chill for a couple of hours before serving so it slices easily.