Dad’s Spaghetti Sauce is a single dad of two’s creation. That is, until I came in the picture. He still creates this masterpiece for us to enjoy as a family about 9 years after my inclusion within his life with two little boys. The smell permeates the house as it cooks and lures you into the kitchen to await its finishing touches. It’s an immensely flavorful bounty of ingredients which coats the pasta and provides satiated expressions around the table as it’s devoured.
Let’s start out by sautéing onions in olive oil. After a few minutes, add the garlic and stir for about a couple of minutes.
In the same pan, cook the sausage and the ground turkey. Drain any excess oil.
Stir onion/mushroom mixture back into pan. Blend in the 2 jars of sauce, followed by the wine. Jim’s choice is Paul Newman’s Sockaroni, but you can use whatever you prefer even though this sauce is awesome!! If cooking pasta to accompany this, reserve about 1/2 -1 cup of the pasta water. Add this starchy water to your sauce and simmer a little while longer. It helps the sauce adhere to your pasta better. This method is used no matter if it’s my Bolognese , Marinara, or Pasta Pomodoro.
Continue to simmer to allow flavors to meld until ready to serve.
You can eat Dad’s Spaghetti Sauce with a spoon like a stew…..or you can eat it like a dip with garlic bread…
Oh, I mean spoon it over pasta of your choice. This makes enough for 2 pounds of pasta. Freeze extra or pass it on to a friend in need.
- 1 pound ground lean turkey
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage
- olive oil
- 8 oz. sliced Cremini mushrooms
- 1 c. diced red onion
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, pressed or finely chopped
- 2 jars Newman's Sockaroni sauce, or your preferred sauce
- ½ c. dry red wine
- Sauté onions in about 3 T. olive oil until translucent. Add in garlic. Stir in mushrooms and cook until browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, cook turkey and sausage until crumbled and slightly brown.
- Add mushroom/onion mixture back into pan with turkey/sausage.
- Blend in 2 jars of Sockaroni sauce and wine. Simmer until ready to serve.