Grilled Asparagus-Prosciutto Bundles with Herbed Goat Cheese is a delightfully creative way to use summer flavors. The fresh thyme from my patio garden is found just outside my kitchen door, where it belongs. It is an incredible addition to the herbed goat cheese. I’m still waiting for the one lemon on my thriving Meyer lemon tree to turn so I can use it in a special recipe. Alas, not this time. Maybe I’ll have to create this again for some special guests this summer.
How simple can this be? Look at this small compilation of ingredients!
Whisk up the marinade and toss in the spears to coat. Put this aside until it is needed.
Evenly distribute the ingredients for the herbed cheese on top of the goat cheese log. Blend together.
On one end, place a rounded teaspoon of the herbed goat cheese on the prosciutto.. Press the 3 asparagus spears into the mound.
Notice the plastic divider under the prosciutto? This keeps it from sticking to the cutting board and tearing apart while rolling it up. Clever idea of mine, don’t you think? Why didn’t I discover this the first time I made it? This really helps the process and a lot less frustrating than trying to keep the prosciutto together while rolling it up. Wrap the prosciutto around the asparagus and roll, either halfway and trim, or use the whole slice. (Your tolerance for saltiness will determine this option.) However, I find the whole slice to securely hold it all together.
Place on grill for about 4-5 minutes, rotating every minute.
- 12 slices of Prosciutto( 6 could be used to reduce sodium content.)
- 36 thin, gourmet, asparagus spears, trimmed
- Asparagus Marinade
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T. fresh lemon juice
- Herbed Goat Cheese
- 6 oz. goat cheese, softened
- 1½ t. fresh thyme
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1 T. fresh lemon juice
- Lemon zest from one lemon
- ½ t. black pepper
- ¼ t. kosher salt
- Trim asparagus spears.
- Mix the asparagus marinade.
- Toss spears in marinade to coat. Allow them to marinate until ready to use.
- Place goat cheese log in glass dish and evenly distribute ingredients on top.
- Blend herbed cheese ingredients together.
- Place a prosciutto slice on cutting board.( I keep the plastic divider on bottom to help keep meat from coming apart while working with it.)
- Place a rounded teaspoon of the herbed goat cheese on one end of the prosciutto.
- Press the 3 asparagus spears into the mound of herbed cheese.
- Gently peel prosciutto end away from plastic divider.
- Wrap the prosciutto around the asparagus and roll, either halfway and trim, or use the whole slice. (Your tolerance for saltiness will determine this option.)
- Place on grill for about 4-5 minutes, rotating every minute.