Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole was awaiting the lazy Sunday crowd sleeping in! I’m an early riser, so I enjoy the quiet creative, “alone” time while trying to solve the puzzle on NPR”s weekend edition. This is multitasking at its best. I already posted Sunshine Breakfast Casserole which is a favorite also, but I wanted to make one including hash browns. So, using the previous recipe as a starter, I devised this breakfast wonder.
Sage sausage is my favorite ! Feel free to substitute your favorite sausage. I cooked the crumbles and set them aside on paper towels to drain excess grease.
The hash browns are next. Melt the butter with 1 T. of the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add hash browns. Occasionally turn with a spatula to avoid over browning. Add the additional olive oil with the minced garlic. Stir to combine and continue to cook and flip hash browns. Season with freshly ground black pepper and a slight amount of sea salt as sausage contains enough for flavoring.
Place them into the bottom of a large casserole dish which has been sprayed with cooking spray. This particular oval-shaped dish is my favorite; I use it for a variety of dishes.
Finally, pour the egg mixture over the top.
Bake for about 45 minutes or until center is set.
Allow to sit for about 5 minutes before serving, then dig in! If you have any leftover, store it in a covered container in the refrigerator. It’s great to quickly warm up and enjoy before you go to work!
Serves: 8 servings
- 1 pound sage sausage or your favorite breakfast sausage
- 2 T. butter
- 2 T. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 c. cubed hash browns, thawed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Sea salt
- 2 c. cheddar cheese
- 9 eggs
- ½ c. half and half
- 1 T. Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook and crumble sausage until no longer pink. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat with 1 T. of the olive oil.
- Cook hash browns, turning occasionally with spatula.
- Add minced garlic and the additional olive oil and continue to cook until lightly brown.
- Add desired amount of freshly ground pepper with a bit of sea salt. Toss lightly and place in prepared casserole dish.
- Layer sausage crumbles on top of hash browns.
- Sprinkle cheese over sausage.
- Whisk eggs, mustard and half and half; Pour over other ingredients in casserole.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until center is set.
- Allow to sit for about 5 minutes before serving.