Herbed Stuffing compliments that gorgeously browned and moist turkey sitting center stage on your Thanksgiving table. Perhaps we could even call it the co-star of this annual performance. Let’s not disappoint our audience of loved ones! This is a variation one I acquired years ago through Pampered Chef for when I was a consultant. I have tweaked it a bit based on my family’s preferences as you could by adding your favorite mixers. Maybe you would prefer some pecans, mushrooms, chestnuts, oysters ( …yeah, we really do that here on the Eastern Shore), or turkey giblets. Use whatever would make them content.
Simple, fresh ingredients create the best results. Start the prep by chopping the herbs, cranberries, celery and onion finely.
Slice apple in half then core it. I use a melon baller tool to quickly do this. Then, slice the apple thinly. Dice the slices.In a skillet, melt the butter and sauté celery and onion until soft. Toss herbs in bread cubes. Then, gently toss vegetable mixture, sausage, apples and broth into bread cubes.
Spoon stuffing into prepared pan and bake covered for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden,
Now, cover this with foil and bake for about 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until a light golden brown.
This is the perfect stuffing to prepare for your Thanksgiving feast.
- 1 package(12-oz.) herb-seasoned cubed stuffing
- 1 c. fresh cranberries, finely chopped (or Craisins, if you prefer)
- 1 T. finely chopped fresh rosemary (1 t. dried)
- 1 T. finely chopped fresh thyme(1 t. dried)
- 1 T. finely chopped fresh sage, (1 t. dried)
- 1 T. finely chopped fresh parsley, (1 t. dried)
- 1/2 c. butter(1 stick)
- 1 c. finely chopped celery
- 1 c. finely chopped red onion
- 2 cups thinly sliced and diced apples, Granny Smith or Honeycrisp
- 1/2 lb. sage sausage, cooked, drained and crumbled
- 3 1/2 c. low-sodium chicken broth, about 2 cans
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Step 2 Slice and dice celery, onion and apples.
- Step 3 Cook, drain and crumble sage sausage.
- Step 4 In a large bowl or pan, toss together stuffing, seasoning and cranberries.
- Step 5 In a skillet, melt the butter over medium-low heat.
- Step 6 Saute celery and onion, stirring until tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Step 7 Add vegetable mixture, sausage, apples and broth to stuffing mixture
- Step 8 toss to evenly distribute ingredients.
- Step 9 Gently spoon stuffing into prepared(sprayed) pan and bake, covered with foil, for 20 minutes.
- Step 10 Remove foil and bake for about 20 more minutes
- Step 11 Stuffing should be a light golden brown in color.