My comfort dessert is warm brownies with a glass of milk on a cold winter evening. Does it get any better than that? These Incredibly Fudgy Brownies rock! In search for a recipe from scratch, I came across this one from The Splendid Table which I listen to every weekend on NPR. I altered a few ingredients in these Supernatural Brownies :turbinado sugar for granulated sugar, semi-sweet baking chocolate, light brown instead of dark brown sugar, salted butter instead of unsalted, more vanilla and no double boiler. This is the brownie recipe included in my Decadent Mint Brownies which you must try if needing your thin mint fix.
Brownies from scratch are so much better than a boxed recipe. Have you looked at those unpronounceable ingredients? I wonder what they do to your digestive system. I don’t think I want to find out. Hopefully my past transgressions(box) will be forgiven. These are so simple to put together, your grandchildren can assist you! Bonding time in the kitchen is so important!
I melt the butter and chocolate in a glass bowl in the microwave. The picture below is after one minute in the microwave. The butter has melted, but some of the chocolate is still in its solid form. I microwaved it for an additional 30 seconds and stirred again. If any small lumps still appear, microwave at 10 second increments until smooth and well incorporated into butter. You’ll see how smooth it should appear in the picture where you add it to the sugar mixture in the following step.
Beat the eggs and then add in the sugars and vanilla.
Whisk in the flour until well blended. Pour onto a buttered parchment paper placed over the 13″ x 9″ x 2″ pan. Spread evenly to the corners. Place pan on middle rack in 350 degree oven for 40 minutes.
Look at that glossy top! When slightly cooled, but still warm, cut brownies (see note). Who wants to wait for cold brownies? Pour yourself a tall glass of milk and devour your pleasures away! Don’t forget to share!
- 8 oz. of semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 1 c. butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 c. turbinado sugar(Sugar in the Raw)
- 1 c. light brown sugar
- 1 T. vanilla
- 1 c. all purpose flour, (1 c. plus 2 T. if using White Lily flour)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Microwave for an additional 30 seconds; stir again. If the chocolate is still not completely melted, cook for 10 second increments and stir until it blends well when whisked into the butter.
- In a separate bowl, beat the 4 large eggs.
- Whisk in the sugars and vanilla until fully incorporated.
- Blend in the flour completely.
- Pour onto buttered parchment paper placed over the 13" x 9" x 2" baking dish. Spread evenly into pan and place into preheated oven on center rack for 40 minutes. It should have a gorgeous glossy top.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on cooling rack.
- When slightly cooled, cut pieces into desired size. I usually cut them into 4 sections lengthwise by 8 sections to yield 32 brownies.