Kahlua Brownies are your answer to a stressful day! Now I’m not saying my day has been stressful, but I’m actually alone. Not that it’s a bad thing, but quiet time with “me” in a household filled with male testosterone is my quality time. To make it perfect, however, the aroma of chocolate must be circulating. While I am setting here typing, guess what I smell?
Melt the butter with the chocolate on the stove in a saucepan over low heat or in the microwave in a glass bowl until melted.If using the microwave, cook for one minute and stir. Continue to cook at 15 second intervals until smooth when stirred. While the chocolate is cooling down, whisk the dry ingredients together and beat the eggs in a separate bowl with the sugar until light in color. Add the melted chocolate and Kailua to the creamed mixture . Mix until it is consistent in color throughout.
Sprinkle either chopped pecans, pecan chips or walnuts on top of the batter prior to placing it in the oven. Pictures in this post include the two pecan selections. Bake for 35-40 minutes.
When removed from the oven, brush with an additional 2 tablespoons of Kailua. It almost appears that there is a glaze. Oh, more Kahlua! Yes! Allow it to cool before cutting slices. A great hint for slicing them is to use a plastic knife. When warm, the brownies will stick to metal and will rip up their appearance, so use a plastic knife.
Depending on why you are making these, pieces may be cut smaller to serve more people. They will, however, come back for more! Enjoy and share these Kahlua Brownies, a taste of chocolate heaven. One bite will place you in a sublime state of mind.
- ½ c. butter
- 3 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- 1½ c. turbinado sugar (Sugar in the Raw)
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ c. all purpose flour ( I use White Lily brand.)
- ½ t. baking powder
- ½ t. salt
- ½ c. Kahlua plus extra for brushing on the top when they come out of oven
- ½ c. diced walnuts, or pecans if you prefer
- Melt butter and chocolate over low heat until melted enough to blend together; remove from heat.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together with an electric mixer.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- When cooled, whisk the chocolate mixture and the Kahlua into the egg and sugar mixture.
- Whisk in the dry ingredients until well blended.
- Pour into a prepared 9" x 9" pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove brownies when a toothpick inserted oink the middle comes out clean.
- Cool slightly on a cooling rack; brush the top with about 2 tablespoons more of Kailua,
- Allow to cool completely before slicing. A plastic knife cuts cleanly through warm brownies. Cut into 2.5''x'2.5" squares first. You may split that lengthwise into 2 skinnier brownies or quarter it to make 4 bite-sized pieces. It depends on the event for which it is being used,