Look at that combination of vibrant colors in my Spicy Maryland Crab Soup ! Flavor at its summer peak. I’m fortunate to live in a part of the world which revels in this combination. Specifically, Maryland, the home of the best seafood seasoning, Old Bay. If you are from here, a little bit is never enough. Why keep this secret soup recipe hidden from the rest of you?! I love to share the best of the Eastern Shore life. Make it and enjoy!
I often vary the veggies a little bit. I like to use the matchstick carrots since they are already cut into thin strips. Saute them with the red onion, celery and garlic for about 2 minutes or until they are translucent and tender.
Add the broths to the Dutch Oven and bring to a boil.
Add the remaining vegetables. Simmer covered for about 30 minutes.
Add the Old Bay seasoning, crab meat along with the salt and pepper. Simmer covered for an additional 30 minutes. At the minimum, add the recommended 2 tablespoons of Old Bay. This seems to be the perfect amount. However, more can be added to up the heat level. Any less would be an insult to the crabs who sacrificed their life for this succulent summer dish.
Serves: 8 servings
- 2 T. olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small red onion, diced~about ¾ c.
- ½ c. celery, thinly sliced and diced
- 1 c. carrots or matchstick carrots, diced
- 4 c. beef broth (I made it with Better than Bouillon beef base.)
- 4 c. clam juice ( I made it with Better than Bouillon clam base.)
- 28 oz. diced tomatoes
- fresh corn kernels from 3 ears of fresh sweet corn
- 2 c. fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1" segments
- 1 c. baby lima beans
- 2 stalks of celery, thinly sliced
- 1 large russet potato, peeled, diced into small cubes
- Crabby Additions:
- 1 pound lump crab meat (Check for shells!)
- 2 T. (or more~ How brave are you?) Old Bay seasoning
- ½ t. Kosher salt
- ½ t. freshly ground black pepper
- Add olive oil and swirl to cover bottom of a Dutch Oven. Sauté onion, celery, garlic and carrot for about 2 minutes, until vegetables are translucent and tender.
- Add in the stocks and bring to a boil.
- Add the remaining (fresh) vegetables to the broth and simmer covered, for about 30 minutes.
- Gently stir in Old Bay and crab meat.
- Continue to simmer for about another 30 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings, (Old Bay, salt, pepper) to your desired taste.