It’s a cold winter’s day with a blizzard pending nearby. School is closed, and all of my papers are graded. I will enjoy the day in my kitchen preparing some warm comfort food for the family. To accompany the Grilled Pimento Cheese Sourdough Sandwiches, we must have some of my robust, flavorful Spicy Tomato Basil Soup! This is perfect to warm you from the inside out after coming in from shoveling some snow or building a snowman with the kiddos. The ingredients are few which makes it so simple to prepare.
Cook onions and garlic until translucent.
Purée tomatoes in blender.
Add tomatoes to onion mixture with vegetable broth, basil and red pepper flakes. Bring all ingredients to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.
Ladle ingredients back into blender and purée again.
Pour back into Dutch Oven to serve. If you prefer your soup creamy, whisk in the whipping cream at this point and simmer for about 5 minutes.
Top with feta or parmesan cheese along with some basil chiffonade for additional flare. I did not use basil chiffonade here, but the picture below shows how to do it; just tightly roll a few basil leaves and thinly slice. Sprinkle it on top for additional flare.
Serves: 6 servings
- 2 T. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¾ c. diced red onion
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1- 28 oz. Diced Fire Roasted Tomatoes (Muir Glen)
- 2 c. organic vegetable broth
- 2 T. fresh basil, and extra for topping, if desired
- ½ t. red pepper flakes
- ½ c. whipping cream (optional)
- Feta, parmesan, chiffonade of basil
- On medium heat, cook onion and garlic in olive oil until onions are translucent.
- In a blender, purée diced tomatoes.
- Add tomatoes to Dutch Oven with vegetable broth, basil and red pepper flakes.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for approximately 15 minutes.
- Ladle soup back into blender and purée all ingredients together; pour back into Dutch Oven to serve. If you prefer your soup creamy, add the whipping cream at this point and gently warm for
- another 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with feta or parmesan cheese with a chiffonade of basil on top.