Good Morning! It’s time for some Sunshine Breakfast Casserole ! School was rained out today (flooding) and an opportunity to fix a favorite weekend breakfast to bring some much needed sunshine on a gloomy day now exists! All of your favorite breakfast items packed into one dish! Eggs, cheese, sausage(or bacon), bread and a little half and half fill this dish with flavors to wake you up, minus the caffeine! You could even sneak in some veggies (chopped peppers) or herbs(basil or thyme), if you can get away with that at your house. This is definitely kid-friendly for the pickiest of eaters in its rare form as presented here.
While you are preheating the oven, cook and drain the sausage and set aside. Melt the butter in an 8″ x 8″ glass or stone pan in the microwave. If you are cooking this in a metal pan, just melt the butter in a glass measuring cup. Toss the croutons with the butter in the bottom of the baking dish. Spread out the croutons and sprinkle with sausage crumbles and cheese.
Whisk together eggs, mustard and half and half. Pour over the ingredients in the pan.
About 30-35 minutes later, pull this delight out of the oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes before slicing to serve. Once cooled, I slice it into 8 slices (4 x 2) or 16 (4 x 4) if the littles(grandchildren) are over. You could even go smaller if having a crowd for brunch. Just stick a toothpick in it with a little herb sprig. What a little delicious bite of flavor!
Serves: 8 servings
- ¼ c. butter, melted
- 2 c. garlic croutons or leftover crusty bread, cubed
- ½ pound sage sausage, cooked and drained, about 1 cup
- 8 large eggs
- ½ c. half and half
- 1½ t. Dijon mustard
- 1 c. sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in 8" x 8" non-metal pan in microwave.
- Cook and drain sausage.
- Toss croutons with melted butter to coat. Spread evenly in the bottom of the pan.
- Cover croutons with crumbled sausage then cheese.
- Beat mustard and half and half into eggs and pour over ingredients layered in the pan.
- Place in oven for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean from center.
- Allow to cool for about 5 minutes before serving.